Seite 2 von 2 ErsteErste 12
Ergebnis 21 bis 29 von 29

Thema: O-Tone vs. Synchro

Troublemaker Avatar von iolanda
    Blog-Einträge

Standard

Once open a time in a galaxy far far away when DVDs did not exist, and one lone iolanda had no access to the internet because internet hadn't been invented then... this was the time when little iolanda was huge fan to the quite new show Star Trek TNG and all news she got was when she went to an international bookstore (and there weren't too many around in the deep woods of the Westerwald) one of the next ones was in Cologne as was the shop "Pin up" where she got al least a few brand new english episodes on VHS. They were extremely expensive as little iolanda had to go per train there. This was the time when she heard of the episode "a fistful of Datas" which she immediately had to get - on the on way or another. Well, there was only one way (remember: no internet - no amazon - no driving license for a car) to get it and after a shopping tour to Cologne she could watch the episode and LOVED it. Brent Spiner was hillarious as was his way to let Data act and speak like a cowboy. It was one of the funniest Star Trek TNG stuff iolanda had seen this days - but she had difficulties to understand parts of it because there were no subtitels and iolandas english wasn't too good thad days. Then (about 1,5 years later) this episode was aired in german TV. iolanda now understood some parts better - but horrified she had to recognize that the german version wasn't as half as funny as the original one. It was simply dull because of the german speaker drying out all the jokes. It just did not work. There was another episode on this cassette, where the difference wasn't that grave, but since iolanda had an DVD player, she always tried to watch the original and failed only with "Amélie".
    Geändert von iolanda (19.05.2007 um 18:11 Uhr)

Standard

*lol* Nice Story Iolanda!
    You failed with Amelie! Did you ever try to look "Vier Fäuste für ein Halleluja" or others in the O-Tone? It would be very difficult!
    I think some films or series you have to watch in the Synchro, because it is very terrible in the O-Version. Like "Die Zwei" for example. It is a very sluggish (gee, look it up at beo or leo or what ever) series when you see the original. And bud Spencer and Terence Hill are also synchronized by the team of Rainer Brandt and Karlheinz Brunnemann. So it is very funny in the Synchro because of it's Schnoddersprache.
    But when you watch Synchros today, you think the translators are raping the story, because they mostly do a loveless job with the films and series.

Troublemaker Avatar von iolanda
    Blog-Einträge

Standard

I had french onloy for two years and cancelled it then for good reason. Since I had latin for 5 years I may had a chance to understand italian, but I forgot almost everything. So I prefer the original version for english and the german version resp. german subtitels for everything else.

Zitronenfalter Avatar von Sinaida
    Blog-Einträge

Standard

It took me a while to discover this part of the forum, but I think it's a great idea to give German native speakers the opportunity to discuss Stargate in English without worring so much about mistakes (which I always do, when posting in English elsewhere )

Original vs synchro - I prefer the original, even if it's sometimes hard to understand everything (I have a lot of problems understanding Ronon's mumbles ) for several reasons:
    - the voices are an important part of the characters and the German voices are sometimes just not fitting and change the characters a little. I get this feeling especially with Sheppard. In the original his voice is warm, sounds amused sometimes and has this special slow drawl. His German voice is harder, colder and so his teasing comments (especially to McKay) sound more like he's annoyed and less like he's teasing.
    - it's impossible to translate some jokes properly.
    - I have the feeling, the people responsible for the dubbing, don't care much about the characters, their relationships and in general about the quality of the dubbing. There are so many really stupid and unnecessary mistakes in the German version, that I have to come to this conclusion.

kolonialer Spion Avatar von Scout
    Blog-Einträge

Standard

Since I started watching everything in English, I don't like German versions anymore. Funnily enough, sometimes I activate the English subtitels in order to understand all of it. German subtitles take away your concentration on the audio, that's why.

Don`t you like english??? It`s a pity!
    I live it, that's why I teach English *g*
    And I would have an easier job if we had no dubbing at all
    (take a look at the Netherlands, all the shows are in English with Dutch subtitles,
    so the Dutch people are pretty good in English without even having learned it in school)
    Geändert von Scout (25.10.2007 um 16:00 Uhr)

Standard

I think in Finnland there are also just a few Dubs - most Movies and TV shows are just subbed. I´d prefer the idea of having subs (beeing a Fan of Animes which aren´t available in German, I got really used to Subs - mainly Japanese Dubs and English Subs).

Standard

Zitat Zitat von Scout Beitrag anzeigen
    Since I started watching everything in English, I don't like German versions anymore. Funnily enough, sometimes I activate the English subtitels in order to understand all of it. German subtitles take away your concentration on the audio, that's why.
    It's The Same with me. Yeserday I watched a film in english that I had allways watched in german and it was much better. I could understand every word (because I knew it by heart from the german version ) but I also understand parts of scientific explanations better than in the german version. I think that the sychronisation is often wrong and not understandable.
    I watched SGAs season four in english and after a few episodes it was in again and I could understand most of the dialogues.
    Today I watched Ark of Truth in english with english subtitles. So I could understand almost everything.
    I think I will do this with my new third season 3 of SGA, too.
    When I listen to the synchro, a shiver rans down my spine (this phrase I looked up in the dictionary ), because it all seems to be wrong and unreal.

space nomad Avatar von Larrin

Standard

Hi,
    I read all these interesting posts and I quite agree with you to watch and listen the original.
    If you listen to the O-Tone, it is no fun anymore with the synchro sometimes.
    Wednesday evening I watch SGA on RTL II, and I often hear myself saying:
    Oh my, that isn`t just the way he or she said it. In English it sounds much better.
    So I prefer at least on SGA the O-Tone.

Staff Sergeant Avatar von Artemis-Neith
    Raumschiff am anderen Ende des Universums

Standard

Since I started to watch my favorite shows in English I absolutely prefer them non-dubbed. German voices sounds very often strange, and wrong, not cos of the German voice acting, of course, but of the difference in comparision to the original actor, or actress. Different accents aren't reflected at all, and by far not every pun can be translated adequate. Not to talk about more or less strange (idiotic) translation errors, like in some episodes of SGU.

That does not mean, I think all dubbing is bad, it's just, that I prefer the original version. I guess it's a matter of getting used to something which opens a very different world, full of shades, you've never experienced before.

Seite 2 von 2 ErsteErste 12