Seite 2 von 3 ErsteErste 123 LetzteLetzte
Ergebnis 21 bis 40 von 57

Thema: Stargate books

Major Avatar von Lorien

Standard

@iolanda: I also use the LEO-dictionary when I sit on my notebook. It's very good and helpful. Sometimes when I'm watching a DVD in English I look for a word I didn't understand. I remember my first try to watch a DVD in English, it was a catastrophe!!! I didn't understand anything, so the second time I watched a film which I new in German really good so I know what happend even without understanding all things. Since the beginning I was better in reading than in hearing English, so it helps to see films with english subtitles - or watching the film again and again and ... But reading in English is now a lot of fun. I've also read some of the Harry Potter books in English, but after I've read them in German. For my English skills it's also very good to write here, even if I don't know what for silly mistakes I maybe make.

I can barely wait for Monday (or Tuesday) when my new Stargate books will come.

@Malp: Yes, we can also talk about "The Chosen" and "Halcyon". The only problem is that these books are at home in Dresden so I can't search for the good scenes, but I will see how many things I can remember. "Rising" whas not bad, but too much like the pilot. (and much, much to short ) Only some little scenes more. What I liked were the scenes between Sheppard and O'Neill and what Jack thought about John. If you want I can send you the book. It's not really necessary to buy it.

Spoiler 

Siren Song:
    I think all the scenes between Sam and Daniel on the Tel'tak were good. They refer very much to meridian, and Sam's thoughts are close to Daniel. And the sentence: And that was a crime! - very god. I like the scenes when it gets to the moral (and they are mostly with Daniel)
    Yes, yes, yes!!! A really good reference to "Meridian". I think this completes this episode only more and make it better. In one of your post you wrote "every really Stargate fan had to read the books". I agree, because the good books gives so much more to the series. And I like it to see Daniel in the moral scenes. He is the conscience of the team, the good guy.

The Chosen:
    For me it's also some months ago since I've read the book. I do not think it was confusing, but I don't like it when there happend too much on too much places. It's to tiring to follow them all. "Exogenesis" is a little bit in the same way. (Maybe because of the same writers?!)
    Yeah, the jumper scene was really the best. Maybe you remember at the beginning of the book there was a similar scene, where Shep don't allow Rodney to get to the controls without permission.
    I like the most of the scenes when the writers describe how Shep interact with ancient devices. We know it's a thinking process, but on the screen it's hard to show and so the books are again very important to complete the series.

Halcyon:
    I most remember the scene when Ronon go to the warground and ended the battle alone. It was so typical for him. The guys on this planet are really stupid!! Use Wraith as pets!!!! And play wargames!!!! What kind of ideas are that?!?!? And I remember the scene nearly at the end when this Wraith shot two times from a near distance and Shep collapsed. I was not sure how the writer would solve this!!! Because since when do they wear a bulletproof vest?!

But in every of the SGA books I've read Sheppard gets somehow injured. Is this a special kind of honour?!

This discussions remember me a little bit to the interpretations during school, but here it makes much more fun. Maybe because of the subject.
    Geändert von Lorien (31.03.2007 um 14:22 Uhr)

Wer keinen Mut zum Träumen hat, hat keine Kraft zum Kämpfen.

deviantART, Livejournal: [Icons, Wallpaper]

Standard

Oh, I think this will be a long answer as allways

@iolanda: I started to read english books in school, too and it was very very very boring . We read books like "Clockwork Orange" and "A Streetcar Named Desire". Mostly I never read them, but still got a 3 or a 4 in the test .

I allways have the BEOLINGUS Dictionary of the Technical University in Chemnitz on my Desktop. I don't know why but I don't like the Leo.

In my bed there is a dictionary of Tandem/Langenscheidt. But when I read books today I don't need it that often.

I also read the Harry Potter No. 5 in english but I gave up at page 130 or so, because it was too boring. The style was easy but the story didn' get me. On page 130 they still weren't at Hogwarts so I lay it beside and later I sold in on amazon. The other 4 books I read in german and the first three of them I think are really good!

@Lorien: I thought, I get my next two books today but they still haven't got arrived . Hopefully they arrive on Monday so that I can take some on the bus to Hamburg
    That with "Rising" would be very nice of you. I once gave the book to Phoebe for a birthday present, but never thought of reading it myself (until now when I can talk too you about all the books).

Okay, now the spoilers again :
    Spoiler 

That thing with the "every really Stargate-Fan" you should have postet for everyone *lol*

Siren Song:
    You're right, the novels complete the Series, sometimes I think they are even better because in the series the relationships between the characters are rarely pictured that good if ever!
    In the series I also loved mostly the moral aspects like Jacks and Daniels arguement in "The Other Side", an episode of season 4. This is the only episode, in which the two characters have a quite sophisticated arguement

The Chosen:
    I think you're right when you say that too much happens in too many places. Perhaps this is because there are two authors. It might be, that they devided the writing work into two and so there are too many cords of action (Handlungsstränge - no dictionary found this ). Eventually they didb't arrange enough with each other.

Halcyon:
    Oh, of course this story. Now I remeber, thanks!
    It really seems to be that Sheppard allways gets wounded. Perhaps it' for the girls who love him even more when he shows himself to be a hard and strong man . But Sheppard is allways very sweet.
    I think Teylas part was very good in this book, especially in the last scenes in the hive ship and their scenes with Ronon (?) in the woods. I don't know if it was Ronon.
    In this novel the Wraith are described as very intelligent. They are no stupid dogs which can be trained as anyone wants. I thin this ist quite cool also referring to the second season (Thursday, Thursday ) episode Michael. I thought about the moral of the things happening in Michael when I read the books and came to the conclusion that the Atlantis team acts not better in Michael than the people of Halcyon.

I am glad and anxious (a word I learned only from reading stargate books, (to) endure is also one of them) to read the new books, especially the SG1 book "Roswell". The title is reason to be courious! It's a pity that it's not out until May

Interprtations in school are often very boring. Today I got the penguin readers of Stargate (novel to the film) but I think it's a shorter version than the one you read.
    When I saw the Penguin Readers I thought about reading english in school and was very pleased not to have to do it any more

Major Avatar von Lorien

Standard

As you wish Malp, I write this part again outside the spoiler.

You wrote in another post "every really Stargate-Fan should read this books". I agree, because it's really completing the series. It shows so much more of the thoughts of the characteres and their relationships. And especially things you can't even show on T.V. For example: everytime Sheppard use an ancient device. We knew that this is a mind reading thing, but in the books you can comprehend it much, much better. You can be in his mind and see/feel with him.

Beside my bed is a dictionary from PONS. I have it since more than ten years. You can really see that it's used: some silly comments or drawings from school time, some tapes over the cover to hold this book together, but no loose page.

Yeah, unfortunately on Saturday you got no post in Austria. Otherwise some of the books would be already here. Still waiting... But I had good news. Amazon send me two books earlier (Tuesday or Wednesday), so that I only have to wait for "Entanglement" a little bit longer.

I will send you "Rising", so that it will be - maybe - also on Thursday by you.

Spoiler 

Siren Song:
    I'm a really enthusiastic reader so I always prefer books. But I also like watching the series to get the pictures which come back in my mind during reading. For example with the spaceships: they don't need to describe every detail (would be to boring - You ever read Karl May? Pages of pages of describtions from the landscape!), I can imagine them.
    You remember around p. 216... when Daniel tries to convince Jack, gives him the ribbon device and told him from the moment Sebek took him as host. Another good scene. I could felt and understand Jacks doubts, but the whole time I thought It's Daniel!! He is your friend, you must see this!!!

The Chosen:
    Yeah, not every time two writers are a good idea. You know: two many cooks ruined the gruel (or so... I only knew it in German.)
    But fortunately, the book isn't really bad. It was also fun to read. I had to laugh when Rodney thinks about Shep that he had two bad headinjuries and that he would be the only one to survive this. Because of his hard skull ("Dickkopf" you would say in German)

Halcyon:
    It really shows something more about the Wraith. I think it's until now the only book that use them as a really important topic. In "The Chosen" they were only the attacker. Maybe I should really see Michael until the end.
    Yeah, Teylas part was much better than in the other books. Also often in the series I get the impression that her only task is to stand nearby.

Ohhh... I like it too to see Sheppard as hero and a hard and strong man. Maybe this is the reason I like "Reliquary" so much.

From an other English book ("Serenity") I learnd a lot of bad words: jerk, tussle and so (and some curses in chinese ). I would say from every book I read I learn some words words. Hope so, you know, it's also one of my reasons to read this books.

Standard

Spoiler 
    Zitat Zitat von Lorien Beitrag anzeigen

Siren Song:
    You remember around p. 216... when Daniel tries to convince Jack, gives him the ribbon device and told him from the moment Sebek took him as host. Another good scene. I could felt and understand Jacks doubts, but the whole time I thought It's Daniel!! He is your friend, you must see this!!!
    Aaaaaahhh, this was superb, especially because Sebek tricked Jack two times before, but Jacks thoughts: Might it really be Daniel and then his thoughts about Skaara and the Goa'ulds before are very nice written.

The Chosen:
    Yeah, not every time two writers are a good idea. You know: two many cooks ruined the gruel (or so... I only knew it in German.)
    *g* I have a Pons "English Active" there are some english phrases inside, but I won't look it up now (just, if you want it).
    I think that might be right, but it worked with Siren Song. There were also two writers and it is very fine!

But fortunately, the book isn't really bad. It was also fun to read. I had to laugh when Rodney thinks about Shep that he had two bad headinjuries and that he would be the only one to survive this. Because of his hard skull ("Dickkopf" you would say in German)
    There is a scene when Sheppard falls into that mud puddle or what it is. This scene is also very nice.

Maybe I should really see Michael until the end.
    I think you have to do it!!!

Ohhh... I like it too to see Sheppard as hero and a hard and strong man. Maybe this is the reason I like "Reliquary" so much.
    Gee!!! Me too, me too

We really should test up our birthdays, perhaps we really are twins seperatet after birth

Major Avatar von Lorien

Standard

Spoiler 

Siren Song:
    Yes, Jack always believes in Daniel, even in the moment when he get the knife and try to kill Daniel (as I wrote earlier). He still could only see Daniel and not the Goa'uld. And according to Daniels wishes he wouldn't let him live in this way. But there was this moment on p. 106: "...the last bit of hope died inside him...", when Sebek tricks Jack the first time and he recognizes it. Up to this point I had hoped that Daniel would be - somehow - stronger than the Goa'uld. Ahhh... really hard. And the hardest thing: p. 55, When Teal'c shoutet "no", than Sam "God, no, oh, God" and than the time Jack needed to realize what had happend. I could barely breath.
    You're right, by this book the two writers are really no problem. They've done a remarkable job. Maybe someone can convince them, that they had to write a book for SGA.

The Chosen:
    Yes, the scene with the mud is also good.

Reliquary:
    What do you think about Kavanagh?! I really, really hated him in the series (especially in "38 minutes" - Let me guess: you like this episode, too?! ) and in the book he isn't better in anyway.
    Some funny parts: p.119 - Shep: "What do I look like?" Rodney: "I don't think we should discuss that right now." or when the ancient devices starts talking to Sheppard: "...but he knew it was saying that is was at minimal capacity, and needed maintenance. It was a reassuringly ordinary thing for a ZPM to say, if you thought about it." The little things that make a good story working.
    I now this book is a little bit like "Conversion", but I'm not sure when this book was published (and when the author starts writing). Maybe it was earlier and someone liked it and hat desided to use it for the series.

Unfortunately our birthdays didn't fit.

Major Avatar von Lorien

Standard

Yieppie!!!! I got the next Stargate books today. Now I have also "Trial by Fire", "A Matter of Honor" and "The Cost of Honor". I've already started with "Trial by Fire".

Standard

You lucky girl! I though my books would arrive today but there was no post today for me I hope they will arrive tomorrow.
    When you read it, we can talk about the books.

Major Avatar von Lorien

Standard

Today I went also to the post to send you "Rising". I hope it will be by you on Thursday but the postman said this isn't sure. You will see. Normally letters need two days from Austria to Germany. And I also got a package in two days.

But I'm sure at the latest after eastern we will have a lot more to talk about.

Standard

Yes, we will! Thank you for sending me the book! But its not so bad if it arrives on Tuesday, because I have another book to read

And I also have to write an application during the easter holidays, so perhaps I will not have very much time.

Major Avatar von Lorien

Standard

Oh no....... At the moment I'm reading four books. Two books from the library which I have to gave back soon and two SG-1 books. First I start with "Trial by Fire", but the day after I got "Survival of the fittest" and I looked on some pages and found it so interesting that I must have started with reading.

So it will last a little bit longer until we can continue our diskussion.

Standard

That's no problem. You know, I'm reading 3 books simultaneously AND I have to watch myself throu two Seasons of a very very nice series
    Thank you for Rising by the way (I mean the book ). I'm all but through reading it but I got a little problem with the time. I think, I'll be ready next Weekend.
    I began reading "Survival of the fittest" but now I first will watch my Episodes (need my drugs) then I continue with Rising (the german novel "Flaschendrehen" is so boring that I think I sell it on amazon or put it into my bookshelf) and then I read "Survival).

Troublemaker Avatar von iolanda
    Blog-Einträge

Standard

Sooo, finally I started with Siren song! Up to now its already very good. Daniel just started to translate something. And it has got something to do with Easter.
    Geändert von iolanda (17.04.2007 um 22:39 Uhr)

Standard

Zitat Zitat von iolanda Beitrag anzeigen
    Sooo, finally I started with Siren song! Up to now its already very good. Daniel just started to translate something. And it has got something to do with Easter.
    Oh! *g* Then you will still have a lot to read.
    I have no time to read at the moment. I got two new books but I didn't started one of the three and yesterday I bought "Everyone worth knowing" by Lauren Weisberger in the german Version (it crossed my way accidentally ). But I have to learn for my tests this and next week at first, then I will be able to read again.

Blog-Einträge

Standard

School started again and so I do not have lots of time to read as well. But its quite some good reading. Though I have to admit that Thud! from Terry Pratchett was ways funnier ;-)

Blog-Einträge

Standard

I am finished with Siren Song!

Spoiler 

That was indeed a good book. I liked the way the author implemented lots of scenes and incidents from the series, this rounded the story very well.

I did not like the whole Lorelei - idea. Or maybe better: I did not understand the connection between Lorelei and the Easter islands. Maybe these connection is so unbelieveable for me because of the Rock named Loreley about 40 km from here.

Another point I had my problems with: at which point did Sebeck die? There was this grenade. Shouldn't Daniel have been dead as well, he was so close, that the finger of Sebek (Lorelei) were mere inches from his face. I guess Sam threw the grenade next to the thing Jack said to be "the brain", so that it wasn't the cyborg but its kind-a-processer which was destroyed. But then both must have been dead/ destroyed, and then the references later in the book, concerning Aris and reacquireing the knowledge from Lorelei were ununderstandable. (Reredeang the spoiler tags I just saw that Malp am Stiel had the same problem)

Aris Boch. I didn't like him in the episode and that didn't change along this book. Guess ist because he was written this way. But breaking Jacks finger in the first just to forche Daniel into working showd his true conscienceless mind, so the develpopment and motives added later couldn't convince me into "he just did it all for his son and his planet". There were other ways.

The scenes between Daniel and Jack were great, also the scenes between Daniels body and Daniels mind. I never figured out how to get into certain parts of the own body.

The discussion between Selmak and Jacob were also good, but I do not think that they have to talk to each other loud. This would be some crazy version of dissociative identity disorder.

*started "A Matter of Honour"*

Standard

I am racking myself through "Survival of the Fittest" by Sabine C. Bauer, but i thing it is very very hard to read. There are too many changes of places and then to my disappointment there are just two chapters, one Daniel/Teal'c, one Jack/Sam and then there are 30 pages full of Simmons and Maybourne ans so on. I think, this is not a spoiler, I just note something about the readability of the book.

Spoiler to Survival
    Spoiler 
    There are few good scenes between Jack and Daniel, now there are also a few good scenes between Teal'c and Daniel. The Scenes withHammond and Maybourne are quite okay and those with Fraiser too. But the ones with Simmons and Niirti are much longer than the Chapters with SG-1, so I really have not much fun reading this.
    The book is also written a little bit difficult. I very often don't understand words and have to look them up. It is not very accessible to me.
    But I will continue, now I want to know the end.

Spoiler to "Siren Song"
    Spoiler 

You are right iolanda, this part ist not very understandable, but i think the Daniel- and Daniel/Jack-scenes are that good that they offset this problem
    I didn't like Aris boch either but with reading the book it was easier to understand him. I hav ever seen this ugly Actor of Boch in my mind when reading, so this might have been the problem

I really want to finish Survival very quickly so perhaps I will overread a few pages and come to the end. There are two more books on my Table and im looking forward to read "Exogenesis" and "Aliances".

Major Avatar von Lorien

Standard

Hi Malp! You already know that I feel nearly the same about "Survival". Too much persons and places I'm not interested in, so I had to read too much stuff between the good chapters... I really don't like storys with to many different places. When it changed again and again, I almost lost the overview. For "Survival" I needed unusal much time. Okay... I'm also still reading "A Matter of Honor", but it's no problem with the book I'm a little bit distracted with writing my own stories! I have started with my second story... When I have some chapters I will send it to you, if you want.

"Survival":
    Spoiler 
    I really love the scenes between Jack and Daniel! You remember this part, after they went through the Stargate to Niirtis planet? When Jack get the first real look to Daniels Face?
    And about the scenes between Daniel and Teal'c I love that Teal'c set Daniel in charge. I really had to laugh at this point!
    But it's a little bit awsome when there are hints to "Meridian". These scenes were really hard to read for me... The worst scene is at the end, you know, when they talk about the next mission to Kelowna...
    But the rest is too much uninteresting stuff about Simmons, Maybourne and Niirti!!
    Geändert von Lorien (15.05.2007 um 23:44 Uhr)

Blog-Einträge

Standard

I finished "Matter of Honour" last week and I am now half way through "Cost of honour"

"Matter" and "Cost":
    Spoiler 
    I think that it is highly unlikely, that SG1 dissapears this way and everything still fits into the series. But despite this I like the books very much. The storyarc is great and its really SG1 what we see acting. Now the story is running and I do not expect the greater twists, but I will let me surprise

Standard

I like Matter and Cost very very much!!

There was one scene in Survival which was really funny:

Spoiler 
    on p. 285: Daniel explains something and after that one of the Marines falls over. Daniel looks confused and Teal'c says: "O'Neill predicted that your explanations would have this effect one day."

There are a few hints on ascension and Daniels dead in Meridian. Some are just interesting but the last one said by Hammond: "... nice, quiet and diplomatic mission..." - great, this was very sad.

Blog-Einträge

Standard

I didn't want to, I didn't want to, I didn't want to - but I had to finish "The Cost of Honour". And what should I say? I loved it..

Spoiler 
    ..though it does not really fit into the series since the timespan is far too long and the changes are far to grave, but that doesn't matter.
    The books were great in character-play, well written and even though the second one at first looked a little bit too big for me it wasn't, since all the changes in the plot which I did not expected fitted very well into each other, so I could not stop reading, reading, reading. Wanna have another one... but the staple of books to be read is still there, and I want to reread at least Harry Potter 6 bevore the seventh Harry Potter is released.

Seite 2 von 3 ErsteErste 123 LetzteLetzte