Seite 3 von 3 ErsteErste 123
Ergebnis 41 bis 57 von 57

Thema: Stargate books

Standard

Hello Hello again, here I am. Long since I wrote my last post, perhabs six month or so. But I allways thought that I have to write something into this thread again. I'm reading "Alliances" at the moment, but I need just 50 pages to get through the rest. Its really gcool. Amazing how someone could make a great describtion of characters with barely any story. Okay, if someone likes stories, its the wrong book. Of course its a Jack/Daniel book, a very little bit like Siren Song. Happens after "The Other Side", Season 4, which is one of my favorite J/D-episode *g*. Anybody read this novel?

Lieutenant General Avatar von Antares
    Blog-Einträge

Standard

Oh, I only found this part of the forum today! That's a lovely idea to write in English about English books!

So far I read three Stargate Novels: "Sacrifice Moon", "The Morpheus Factor" and recently "The Chosen".

At the moment I'm reading "Blood Ties".

"Sacrifice Moon": I didn't like it too much.
    Spoiler 
    If I remember correctly there was something about nightmares, and during the nights they changed into hunters and they started a slow transformation. That was much too dark for my liking. *g*

"The Morpheus Factor": I liked it a bit better.
    Spoiler 
    This is again a book dealing with hallucinations. SG-1 is on a planet and they are torn into a strange war, because also hallucinated events can have an impact. The interaction between the caracters was a bit boring.

"The Chosen". The best one so far
    Spoiler 
    It starts great: there are a lot of wonderful dialogues between Sheppard and McKay and both caracters sound very true. Also Teyla and Ltd Ford play a major part. But the main interest is clearly on McKay and Sheppard - that's someting I like very much. When they find themselves in the middle of a civil war they somehow started, I like the fact that there is bit of role reversal - as Sheppard gets badly hurt it's up to McKay to make the important decisions.
    In the end the detailed descriptions of the war get a bit tiresome. I would have preferred to have more interaction between the caracters.

Unfortunately, I haven't read "Alliances" yet, although a friend of mine recommended it to me.

Standard

Now again. I'm reading "Blood Ties" at the moment and I think it is a bit boring. It should be a Daniel/Sheppard-Story but somehow the Charakters don't fit together. But I've only read 130 pages. The dinosaur-Story with Lorne ist also a bit mysterious. I'm interestet in how the authors will deal with that Iraque -Storyline. Its very political. But I will read this book and give my unqualified commies then.
    Antares: Have you read more SG books by now?

Blog-Einträge

Standard

Zitat Zitat von Malp am Stiel Beitrag anzeigen
    Antares: Have you read more SG books by now?
    In the meantime I finished "Blood Ties" - and I didn't like it too much.

Spoiler 
    They promise Colonel Sheppard teamed with Dr. Jackson - but that isn't the main focus in the book. It's a female profiler who already knows Sheppard. And as I'm not very fond of original characters - I want to read Stargate and not original fiction - and the profiler is, oh wonder, the long awaited chosen one who saves nearly all and everyone (somebody said Mary Sue? ) it didn't held too much interest for me. Although I like the idea of the Wraith living on Earth already for centuries and thus explaining all the vampire cults.
    The caracterization of Rodney is very poor, Sheppard and Daniel are better.

That's one of the books where I have to say that Fanfiction is often better!

A friend sent me "Barque of Heaven" - but I still need time to read it.

What is the story with Lorne and the dinosaurs called? Because I like Lorne and I'd like to read a story with him as the main character.

Btw: Is that Sheppard smoking in your avatar???

Standard

Zitat Zitat von Antares Beitrag anzeigen
    Btw: Is that Sheppard smoking in your avatar???
    Yes it is!
    Thats also my impression of Blood Ties. But I will read it and hope that it's not too bad. Did you ever read Survival of the fittest? I don't recommend it. It's really terrible. I think it's cool that more than two read the Stargate books. There are a few very very good ones. I don't read much Fanfics but I will read more because I got a boring job and then I can read during my working time.

Troublemaker Avatar von iolanda
    Blog-Einträge

Standard

I stopped reading Halycon (Halcyon?) Boring. OOC.

FanFictions are better in a lot of cases. And they are shorter, so it doesn't hurt that much when you quit one.

Standard

Hehe, that is true. I can not remember Halcyon. Must be bad *g* Its a pitty that you don't know what the book is like before you read. Fanfics are sometimes fulsome, because Fans are mostly Fans of one character so the others miss out (it is so when I write). But I can make a mistake here. Must read more FFs. There will be another book published in August this year called Mirror Mirror. I think I will preorder this one. Sounds good. Mirror-Universe in SGA?? Cool!

There is good in you... Avatar von Chayiana
    Blog-Einträge

Standard

@Antares
    Spoiler 
    What Malp on the stick meant is that Lorne and the dinosaurs are part of "Blood ties".
    I've to say that for some part I agree that this book wasn't the best one. The whole profiler part was a pain in the neck and Daniel and John really don't fit together, but I think at the end it wasn't that bad. I liked the shep whump (of course *g*) and also the wraith-vampire-thing with its correlation to the world Lorne explored was kinda interesting. I liked the very sensitive and intelligent dinosaurs ... they are so much better than the humans in some way ... *g*

to sum it up ... I guess it was in the good middle of the SGA books ... I had more problems with "Casualties of war", although I've to admit the end was really cute ... but that's another story ...

Standard

Shep-Whump: Cool! Then I can go on reading *lol*.

Chayiana: Did you read more of the SG books?

Blog-Einträge

Standard

Chayiana: Did you read more of the SG books?
    All of the SGA books so far, but none of the SG-1 books ... *g* I'm SGA addicted ...

Standard

Zitat Zitat von Chayiana Beitrag anzeigen
    I'm SGA addicted ...
    Can understand that. There are good books from SG1, but I like the carakters of SGA more than of SG1. But Siren song is better than all. Which book do you like most?

Blog-Einträge

Standard

Which book do you like most?
    uh, that's a very good question .. *gg* like I said I only read the SGA books, so, I'd say "Reliquary" is one of my favorites because of the shep whump!
    But "Exogenesis" even if the beginning was a bit lame was also very good, the end was quite thrilling though ... *gg* and I liked "Entanglement" because I love alternate universes and the possibilities they may show.

Standard

I haven't read Exogenesis but it is on my SUB (this contains still over 20 books so I have enough to read for some month *g*).
    Reliquary is cool. I read it bevore watching Conversion, so it was similar but Shepp whump is cool. I can read more of it.

Blog-Einträge

Standard

[QUOTE=Chayiana;457508]@Antares
    Spoiler 
    What Malp on the stick meant is that Lorne and the dinosaurs are part of "Blood ties".

Those dinosaurs! I was really hoping there was a novel with Major Lorne as central point of focus...

but I think at the end it wasn't that bad.
    Spoiler 
    Nah... the solution with this femals super saviour ...
    Although I liked the scene with the diving in the cave

Standard

Okay, now I'm through with Blood ties (except I let out the last ten or 15 pages ) It was really boring.
    Spoiler 
    Okay, I think the last Shep-Whumping-Scenes were quite okay, although he was really healed to quickly by the Ninlins (or what ever the name was). A bit confusing the whole book. The best part IMO wa as Rebecca recocnizes, that she was one of these Wraith-What-so-ever. Perhaps my english is getting worse but I think it was a big mess with the story. The authors should think about writing together or better writing alone. Wasn't it the same with "The Chosen"?
    I think somehow they manage to make such great characters like Rodney, Daniel, Teyla and so on look like minor extras in John and Rebeccas story. And John wasn't best characterized, too. Read better FFs by now
    Although I liked the scene with the diving in the cave
    Mhm, okay but I don't think Sheppard would trust someone like Anata after this short time.

Standard

Has anybody read Hydra or Roswell from the SG-1 Series?
    I have them on my SUB (what does "Stapel" mean in english?) but have not read them til now.

The last one I read was "Barque of heaven".
    Spoiler 
    I was pleased by the Dannywhumping of the book. And I liked the many settings because you can read of many different places and races in one book. Wow, long since posting here, my english is a bit rusty.
    I was a bit disappointed by the end beeing so "florid" and that all the injuries of the team were blown off. But its a lot of fun to read.

Blog-Einträge

Standard

I think "Barque of Heaven" is one of the best SG-1 books. It's a team-story, everybody plays a part in the solution of the riddle and there are no shippy scenes.

Seite 3 von 3 ErsteErste 123