Seite 1 von 2 12 LetzteLetzte
Ergebnis 1 bis 20 von 29

Thema: Wie Wrestling SciFi tötet - Ein offener Brief an Syfy

The Beast rises... Avatar von Zero

Standard Wie Wrestling SciFi tötet - Ein offener Brief an Syfy

Unsere Kollegen von GateWorld.net haben einen offenen Brief an den Sender Syfy mit dem Titel "How Wrestling is Killing Science Fiction" geschrieben:

AN OPEN LETTER TO SYFY CHANNEL:

Thank you for the many years of outstanding entertainment you have given to me and my friends. While I haven’t agreed with every creative or scheduling decision, every killed-off character or series cancellation, I do recognize that because of Syfy Channel I have laughed, cried, and cheered over the likes of Farscape, Stargate, Sanctuary, Battlestar Galactica, and so many others.

Since you ventured into original, scripted drama more than a decade ago, you’ve been one of the best places on television for the genre that I love so much. And you’ve been one of the safest. The big networks put the pressure on shows and cancel them after a season or less, sometimes not even airing all the episodes they paid to have filmed. Firefly. Defying Gravity. The Event. No Ordinary Family. Moonlight. Earth 2. Surface. Invasion. Threshold. But you give new series time to find their audience. You’ve rescued shows from cancellation oblivion, you’ve aired those unaired episodes, and you’ve funded additional seasons when it looked like shows like Sliders and Stargate SG-1 were done.

Lately, however, your actions have started to concern me. Consider this an intervention on the part of those who love you. While your ratings are high and things seem like they are going great, you are on a self-destructive path. And it doesn’t just hurt you. It doesn’t just hurt those who fall in love with your outstanding scripted dramas. It’s hurting the science fiction genre.

I understand that reality programming is here to stay. Because it’s less expensive to produce and typically gets as-good or better ratings than scripted fare, reality TV has become a building block for the television landscape in the twenty-first century. Hopefully that will come with some balance — something scripted, something unscripted, and viewers will choose what they like. Face Off and Ghost Hunters are cool ideas. But please, do not forsake scripted drama because it doesn’t have as high a cost-benefit ratio.

I think you know this, and it’s not why I am writing today. I’m writing to talk about professional wrestling. Your mother and I are very concerned about the kids you have been hanging out with. I recognize that WWE Smackdown is the cool kid: he gets double the ratings of nearly any other show on the network, which is a huge boon to your ratings averages and, ultimately, to your profitability. Money earned from wrestling can then be invested in making shows that don’t rate as highly. Like the Republicans say, the ratings “wealthy” can create jobs for the “middle class” of TV shows. It’s not a terrible idea, even if I don’t think that wrestling fits with your network brand.

John Cena (right) delivers a crippling body slam to Caprica (left).

By changing your name from “SCI FI” to “Syfy” it became clear that you don’t want to program for the niche of science fiction fans any more — you want broader appeal. You want to be popular. If NCIS repeats became available and you could afford them, you’d snap them up and tell viewers to “imagine greater.”

Those of us who are first fans of the science fiction genre can see the writing on the wall. When it comes to mass appeal, sci-fi is always at a disadvantage. Good science fiction television needs to be nurtured, given space and time to grow. But it will never be hugely popular. And you don’t seem to be as interested in nurturing these days.

Now don’t get me wrong — I’m not writing you off. A two-year commitment to an expensive show like SGU was terrific, and Caprica‘s ratings were pretty bad. I’m not even saying that expanding to new nights of the week has been a bad idea. I recognize the business strategy at work in your scheduling choices, and I see where it has paid off. But the last seven months have told a powerful story to the programming department, and today you have to own up to your mistakes. Let’s review the course of events that brought us here:

* You acquired WWE Smackdown, and decided to keep it on Friday nights — where its own fan base expects it. Since it is a 2-hour block, the fall of 2010 seemed like the best time to branch into another night using those shows that were previously on Fridays.
    * So you planned to move Stargate Universe and Sanctuary to Tuesdays, where your other dramas have had great success during the (less competitive) summer months. (With Warehouse 13 overlapping one week into the start of the fall season on the big networks, maybe you could hold on to some of those summer viewers and keep them on Syfy on Tuesdays.)
    * Caprica still needed an immediate renewal decision, however, so at the eleventh hour you put it in Sanctuary‘s place and kept Sanctuary on Fridays, after wrestling, in the one primetime hour still available there.
    * Tuesday nights during the fall season are incredibly tough. Caprica sank below 1 million viewers and didn’t survive a month. Stargate, meanwhile, flirted with disaster in its own ratings, hovering just inches above the 1 million viewer threshold.
    * Stargate finished out its fall run, but compared to its (falling) numbers on Friday last spring, things weren’t looking so good. You cancelled it in December.
    * In January you were ready to premiere a new scripted series, a remake of BBC’s Being Human. The show started strong and did very respectable numbers on Monday nights. You renewed it and called it a win. When Stargate returned for its final episodes, you moved it to Monday, too. But it was a dead man walking, so no one expected a ratings resurrection.
    * Sanctuary, meanwhile, was still on Friday nights — and now it had WWE as a monster lead-in. You know lead-ins matter. You know that Fridays at 10 p.m. is now the plum time slot on your network. You wish that the show you put there would retain a bit more of WWE‘s 2.5 to 3 million viewers, but Sanctuary was clearly doing well enough for a fourth season renewal.

Layla puts the squeeze on Sanctuary.

When April arrived, things got truly telling. Sanctuary started its spring season with surprisingly low numbers, considering it is a mid-season premiere and it has a 2.8 million viewer lead-in. Meanwhile, your new Monday reality series Urban Legends premiered after Stargate on Monday, and couldn’t keep even half of SGU‘s already dismal viewership. Sanctuary and Stargate have always had a similar audience, and Urban Legends could really benefit from that post-WWE time slot — so you did the logical thing and quickly switch them.
    * Now on Mondays at 10 p.m., Sanctuary is pulling in lower ratings than the already cancelled Stargate Universe.

What lessons is a programming executive to learn from this? Putting original (and expensive), scripted dramas on Tuesday nights during the fall season was a disaster. Sanctuary is a good show, and it didn’t lose 40 percent of its audience because people decided to tune out. It lost that audience because people expected to watch it on Friday night, where it’s always been and where science fiction has thrived on many networks. And because it had a monster lead-in there.

Now I understand that there are only three primetime hours per night, and you have a lot of good shows. It helps the network tremendously to air original series on other nights of the week. One million for a new original is better than 300,000 viewers from a repeat of Hercules. But you must realize that the ratings for those shows will be proportionately lower than they were on Friday nights — about 40 percent, apparently. Competing with the big networks on their big nights is still tough.

In short, cancelling SGU and Caprica because they couldn’t perform on Tuesdays was a mistake. You should own up to it. You should admit that those shows would have performed much better (about 40 percent, apparently) on Fridays, and it’s your fault that they didn’t have the chance. They may well have earned enough viewers to warrant renewal. But you decided not to nurture them, to give them the space and time they needed to solidify themselves creatively and in their audience.

You know that Stargate Universe is better now than it has ever been, and is even starting to win over some of the naysayers. But you cut it off at the knees, mid-story, without so much as a shortened season or mini-series to tie up this epic story in which you convinced us to involve ourselves.

Why? What was that one critical factor that brought an end to a 14-year franchise that made you a Top 10 cable network, that could have been your everlasting Law & Order or CSI?

Because wrestling has to air on Friday nights.

WWE Smackdown is your highest-rated show, far and away. The fact that it is so highly rated — that no other show you make, scripted or unscripted, comes anywhere close — should tell you something. I’d like to tell you it’s because it doesn’t belong on your network, but I’m resigned to the fact that it is a breadwinner. But it is destroying good science fiction. If you move it off of Friday nights, most of its loyal and ridiculously large audience will follow. WWE does monster numbers for USA Network on Mondays. Wrestling fans will watch Smackdown instead of NCIS on Tuesdays, because they are already in the habit of not making good life choices. Then your ratings still have the wrestling boost, but you’re back to having three hours of primetime real estate to nurture scripted drama.

Think of it this way: If your best friend moves out to the sticks, he’ll have a hard time convincing you to come and visit as often. But if you build a 50,000-seat sports arena in the sticks, fans will carpool and rent buses to get out there.

Big Show (right) prepares to finish off Stargate Universe (left) once and for all.

If you had renewed Stargate and demonstrated that your expectations for Tuesdays in the fall are proportionately lower (about 40 percent lower, apparently), we wouldn’t be having this conversation. For the show’s creative growth, ultimately I don’t care how many people are watching it. But to cancel one series and renew another, when the only ratings difference between the two was the night of the week you aired them, was incredibly short-sighted.

You’ve done great with Friday nights in the past, and you are doing great with Tuesdays in the summertime. I think switching your summer dramas to Mondays will be an even greater success. I’m even happy with your foray into Mondays this winter and spring, even though it has been tougher-going. (I wonder if you had tried Mondays instead of Tuesdays back in October, if SGU might still be with us.)

But wrestling doesn’t belong on Fridays. Your own ratings data shows that the scripted dramas you put there will thrive for years, and those that don’t get the coveted Friday hour — well, they get killed. Not because of the show. Because none but the most loyalist follower want to watch an intense, thought-provoking science fiction drama at 10 o’clock on a Tuesday.

Syfy, move WWE Smackdown off of Friday nights. It does great there, and it will do great elsewhere. It will make your Tuesdays or your Thursdays amazing. But, more importantly, it will free up the Friday schedule to allow you to support scripted drama again. Then all of your shows will thrive, and your ratings averages and your bottom line will shine even brighter. As the schedule stands, wrestling isn’t complimenting your scripted science fiction — it is destroying it.

These shows deserve it, and your viewers who watch you because they love science fiction deserve it. Without it, you aren’t going to be a haven for science fiction any more. You’ll just be like everyone else.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/0...ience-fiction/
    Was sagt ihr zu den Statement des Briefes? Der selben Meinung?

(Bitte freundlich bleiben beim diskutieren!)

2. Danke sagten:

Just a Lizard Wizard in a Blizzard Avatar von Woodstock
    Blog-Einträge

Standard

Finde ich gut. Hat sich das SG-P irgendwie beteiligt?
    "This is the kind of conversation that can only end in a gunshot."
    Administrative Postings meiner Person im Zuge meiner Betätigung auf Stargate-Project.de als Moderrator sind in roter Schrift verfasst. Andersfarbige Postings sind als Bekundung meiner eigenen Meinung zu werten.

4. Danke sagten:

The Beast rises... Avatar von Zero

Standard

Zitat Zitat von Woodstock Beitrag anzeigen
    Finde ich gut. Hat sich das SG-P irgendwie beteiligt?
    Nein, keine Beteiligung Unsererseits.

6. Danke sagten:

Fast so lange anwesend wie Antiker Avatar von Animal

Standard

Sehr gut, nur ob es was bringen wird weiß ich nicht.

Eli: I know, it was a mirage, but when we were walking over that last dune, I thought I saw the Statue of Liberty sticking half out of the sand, just for a second there! I was all ready to yell, "Damn you! Damn you all to hell!"
    Oh, come on, that was funny!

Rush: Was it?!

Captain Avatar von Evaine

Standard

Gefällt mir.

Off Topic, oder auch nicht:
    Eine andere SciFi-Serie ist schon vor Jahren noch vor der Erstausstrahlung durch Wrestling gestorben: Crusade. Die nächsten geplanten, aber nicht mehr gedrehten Folgen hätten das Tempo drastisch erhöht und wären zur Bestleistung der (jetzt bekannten) Serie geworden... Schade. Verschenktes Potential.

Second Lieutenant

Standard

Ist halt die Logik bei den Sendern. 1. Staffel schlecht = nächste Staffel gut bis nochbesser = bloss schnell absetzen.
    Die Deutschen sind da noch schneller die brauchen keine Staffel, 2 Folgen und weg damit.

Aber wer fand den die 1 Staffel von SG spitze oder die Kirk-Enterprise, selbst DSA und Voyager machten sich erst später.
    Wären die genausoschnell verschwunden?

General im Vorruhestand Avatar von Jonathan J. O´Neill

Standard

@skydiver:
    Bei Universe waren die Erwartungen, nach den Erfolg von SG1 und SGA einfach hoch. Und Universe hat einfach einen schlechten Start gehabt, und das in einer kompletten Staffel. Auch war bei Stargate schon lange eine Pause überfällig, und der Markt war übersättigt.

Also, die erste Staffel von SG1 war um einiges besser, als die von SGU, für die damaligen Möglichkeiten.

Zum Thema:
    Bei den Sci-fi-Serien wird das immer härter eine Serie zu produzieren, die sich auch längerfristig durchsetzt. Auch ist alles in einer gewissen Sache schon mal da gewesen.
    Ich finde es einfach mal etwas übertrieben, dem Wrestling die Schuld in die Schuhe zu schieben, das Serien eingestellt oder beendet werden. Die Amerikaner stehen nun mal auf Massenveranstaltungen. Es könnte sich auch um eine andere Sportart handeln, würde man diese etwa auch verantwortlich machen.

Captain Avatar von Evaine

Standard

In meinem Beispiel von Crusade ist es tatsächlich so, weil der Sender verlangte, dass sich die Serie in Wrestling einfügen müsste, sprich es als Thema übernimmt...

so lang hier und so ruhig.. Avatar von Gutschey

Standard

Eine Lesebestätigung wäre cool...aber ich frage mich, ob sie das nicht alle bereits schon wissen und es ihnen egal ist.

Airman

Standard

Ich halte die Argumentation für ziemlich schlüssig, vor allem denke ich auch, dass Wrestling es überall (auf allen Sendeplätzen) gut machen würde. Der Punkt ist halt, wie auch im Brief beschrieben, ob Syfy noch willig ist, "anspruchsvolles Fernsehen" durch gute Sci-Fi-Serien zu unterstützen ODER ihr Programm auf höchstmögliche Rendite ausrichten. Tja, und genau da ahne ich nichts gutes...

Herrscher über Raum und Zeit Avatar von Timelord
    Blog-Einträge

Standard

Zitat Zitat von Evaine Beitrag anzeigen
    Gefällt mir.

Off Topic, oder auch nicht:
    Eine andere SciFi-Serie ist schon vor Jahren noch vor der Erstausstrahlung durch Wrestling gestorben: Crusade. Die nächsten geplanten, aber nicht mehr gedrehten Folgen hätten das Tempo drastisch erhöht und wären zur Bestleistung der (jetzt bekannten) Serie geworden... Schade. Verschenktes Potential.

Da bringst du was durcheinander... Crusade wurde von TNT finanziert und nicht von SyFy.
    Aufgrund von Differnezen und eher mauen Marktanalysen zwischen Produzent und Schöpfer des B5- Ablegers wurde die Serie eingestellt und nciht weil man Wrestling ins Programm nahm.

BTT:
    Weg mit Wrestling!!! *mich der meinung des Briefe voll anschließe

"Wir sind alle Menschen dieses Planeten, egal, welche Religion, Hautfarbe und Herkunft wir aufweisen!"
    Perry Rhodan, Neo Band 2

Troublemaker Avatar von iolanda
    Blog-Einträge

Standard

Ich finde den Brief auch sehr gut!

Maverick™
    Gast

Standard

Das Problem des ganzen ist, das man Smackdown nicht auf Dienstags schieben kann, da es keine Liveshow ist sondern Mittwochs vorher erst aufgezeichnet wird. Monday Night Raw ist die einzige Liveshow der WWE. Smackdown war (egal welcher sender) halt schon immer Freitags ausgestrahlt worden.

Aber der Brief ist trotzdem recht gut. Nur halt in dem einen Punkt schlecht recherchiert.

Staff Sergeant Avatar von Marcel Scott

Standard

ich mag den brief aber wir müssen den auch mal beibringen das SGU hier vielmehr als in Amerika und so geschaut wird !!!! eine 3 Staffel wäre soooooo COOL!!!!!

Senior Airman

Standard

ich wünsche gateworld viel glück und hoffe es gibt keine drei zeilenantwort

Staff Sergeant Avatar von ShadeX

Standard

Wir wollen geschwind mal Revue passieren lassen wie es sich bei Sanctuary verhalten hat.

Diese Serie war ebenfalls wie SGU nicht der Quotenbrüller, wurde folglich abgesetzt - das war vor Stargate Universe's Absetzung - und nach einem Jahr (ich hoffe ich täusche mich da nicht in der Zeitangabe) war es plötzlich mit einer neuen Staffel wieder da.

Und so denke ich wird es sich auch mit Stargate Universe verhalten.

Ich gebe zu es ist auch ein bissel Wunschglaube dabei, dennoch kann ich mir auch ohen die Hoffnung gut vorstellen, dass die Herrschaften von Syfy erkennen, das ein qualitativ gutes Programm auf Dauer besser ankommt, als das 'RenditeTV'.

Meine Prognose: Wir alle, werden die 3. Staffel SGU in spätestens 2 Jahren wieder sehen und werden uns alle ein Loch in den Bauch freuen können.

Wie seht ihr das? Bin ich alleine mit meiner Meinung, Antworten gerne per 'Danke'-Knopf.

Gruß an alle die an Stargate glauben und es sich zurück auf den TV wünschen

ShadeX
    Stargate For Life!

20. Danke sagten:

Troublemaker Avatar von iolanda
    Blog-Einträge

Standard

Warum schreibst du in zwei Themen das Selbe rein?
    Und auch hier: Sanctuary wurde nicht abgesetzt sondern zunächst als Webserie produziert und wurde wegen dem Erfolg, den es da hatte, aufgekauft und wird seither fürs Fernsehen produziert.

22. Danke sagten:

Young-Fan Avatar von Mason
    Blog-Einträge

Standard

Zitat Zitat von ShadeX Beitrag anzeigen
    Wir wollen geschwind mal Revue passieren lassen wie es sich bei Sanctuary verhalten hat.

Diese Serie war ebenfalls wie SGU nicht der Quotenbrüller, wurde folglich abgesetzt - das war vor Stargate Universe's Absetzung - und nach einem Jahr (ich hoffe ich täusche mich da nicht in der Zeitangabe) war es plötzlich mit einer neuen Staffel wieder da.

Und so denke ich wird es sich auch mit Stargate Universe verhalten.

Ich gebe zu es ist auch ein bissel Wunschglaube dabei, dennoch kann ich mir auch ohen die Hoffnung gut vorstellen, dass die Herrschaften von Syfy erkennen, das ein qualitativ gutes Programm auf Dauer besser ankommt, als das 'RenditeTV'.

Meine Prognose: Wir alle, werden die 3. Staffel SGU in spätestens 2 Jahren wieder sehen und werden uns alle ein Loch in den Bauch freuen können.

Wie seht ihr das? Bin ich alleine mit meiner Meinung, Antworten gerne per 'Danke'-Knopf.

Gruß an alle die an Stargate glauben und es sich zurück auf den TV wünschen

ShadeX

Deine Worte in Gottes Gehörgang!!

Dank deinem Post hab ich wieder einen etwas größeren Funken Hoffnung, Shadex. Dass Sanctuary solch ein Glück hatte und mit leichter Verspätung eine dritte Staffel bekommen hat, ist völlig an mir vorbei gegangen. Mag aber auch daran liegen, dass ich die Serie gerade mal vom Namen her kenne und nie geguckt, geschweige denn verfolgt habe...

Genau wie du drücke ich sämtliche Daumen und alles, was man noch drücken kann, damit SGU eine dritte Staffel bekommt. Verdient hat die Serie es auf jeden Fall.

Wie heißt es so schön?: Der Glaube versetzt Berge. Also lasst uns glauben!

Und nun bitte zurück zum eigentlichen Thema, Wrestling und dessen Einfluss *bäh*

Maverick™
    Gast

Standard

*Hoffnungszerstörungshammer raushol*

Ich erriner mal an dieser Stelle daran das die Sets bereits abgerissen wurden, teile davon in Auktionen verkauft wurden und ein teil des main-stamms der Serie (Robert Carlyle usw) bereits Verträge für andere Projekte besitzen für die nächsten 6 bis 24 monate

25. Danke sagten:

Staff Sergeant Avatar von Lord Ra

Standard

M-Force Maverick hat in allem was er zuvor sagte Recht
    Denn wie will man eine neue Serie machen, wenn das Stargate dazu fehlt.
    Oder sonst irgendwas. Mal von den ganzen Schauspielern mal abgesehen.
    Nach meiner Meinung wird diese "Pause", wie Wright sie beschrieben hatte, 8-10 Jahre andauern.
    THE ONLY MISSION IS SURVIVAL

Seite 1 von 2 12 LetzteLetzte